What kid doesn’t love their aunt? Almost everyone has one. They always come to visit, they bring special treats, and they are always the ones having the most fun…well, at least I am. Aunties get to experience all the fun stuff without the stress, mess, and hard work. I know you mamas are working hard, so we are always here to help as the aunt. Our job comes with a few extra perks.
1. Aunties get to buy cool clothes. Yes, any parent can buy their kid a cute little onesie that says, “Mommy’s little cupcake.” But as the aunt, you become the rock star. “Amazing, just like Auntie,” or “Trouble, just like Auntie.”
2. Aunties get applause when you walk through the door. I’m not saying that your kids aren’t happy when mom comes home from work or back from the grocery store, but as the aunt, you always receive a warm welcome, followed by a bombardment of hugs, cheers, handmade bracelets, artwork and, “Look what I did.”
3. Aunties are allowed to pass on cleaning butts. When your niece or nephew is sitting on the potty yelling for help, you’re allowed to call back, “Mommy is coming,” and then quietly whisper, “Sorry, not my job.”
4. Aunties don’t have to think twice about serving ice cream for dinner. This might not be the healthiest thing to do, but what kid doesn’t want ice cream for dinner. Aunties job is to make everyone happy, no matter the cost. The best part about this perk is that you get to leave right before the sugar settles.
5. Aunties get to leave at ANY time. Let’s face it, sometimes things get tough. There might be no crying in baseball, but there are definitely many tears in motherhood…by both mommy and kid. When stuff hits the fan, you get to sneak out.
6. Aunties get special dates. Not very often do parents get alone time with one kid. As the aunt, I can arrange special activities with each kid…unless your nephew trips and falls at the zoo scraping his leg and then cries the rest of the day to go home.
7. Aunties are allowed to laugh at inappropriate things. Okay, this might not actually be allowed, but sometimes I can’t help but snicker when my nephew is yelling, “Smell my butt,” or running around the kitchen island with his underwear on his head while his mom is ripping her hair out.
8. Aunties get to fall in love without stretch marks. When my nieces and nephews were born, it was love at first sight. I remember being blown away at how quickly I could love someone. But I didn’t have to do any of the work!
9. Aunties can always say YES. Auntie, can I have another cookie? Yes. Can we watch another movie? Of course. Auntie, can we dump out every toy we own on the floor? Absolutely. Auntie, can I have my third juice box? You know it… don’t tell mom.
10. Aunties never have to be the bad guy. When it’s time to take that annoying toy away that has sang the same song over and over again, and you can’t get it out of your head, aunties take it away without any guilt. “Sorry, mommy said no.”
So, to all those hard-working mamas out there, I praise you. But we all know being the aunt is the best! What is your fav auntie perk?
Danielle was born and raised in Fairfield County. She is currently a full-time second-grade teacher in Bridgeport, CT. Danielle enjoys traveling, spending time with family, dinner and drinks with friends, and exploring new places. She is a young, single auntie who loves spending time with her four nieces and nephews without all of the responsibilities of motherhood.