One of the many joys of parenthood is watching my children learn to read and love books. I relish watching their imagination run free as they delve into a story that captures their minds and transports them to another world.
I created a list of classic books that I have either read with my daughters or on our list to read soon. Of course, the appropriateness of a particular book will depend on the age of the child. However, I’ve found that a wide range of ages can enjoy most of the titles listed below.
One aspect of reading together that we really enjoy is setting up our “reading area,” where we have pillows, bean bag chairs, blankets, and a snack. It’s a great way to spend quality time together after a busy day of school and other activities.
I usually give my daughters a short list with a brief description to decide together what book to read next. So far, our favorite books from the list are Pipi Longstocking, The Wizard of Oz, Charlotte’s Web, and The Jungle Book. Overall, I think these stories were most engaging and fun to read together because of the mixed elements of fantasy, humor, action, life lessons, and moral teachings.
Below is the list of titles and authors:
1. Pipi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
2. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
3. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
4. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
5. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
6. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
7. The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
8. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
9. The Boxcar Children (series) by Gertrude Chandler Warner
10. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
11. Matilda by Roald Dahl
12. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
13. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
14. Heidi by Johanna Spyri
15. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
16. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
17. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
18. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
19. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
20. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
21. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (Poetry)
22. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (Poetry)
23. Anne of Green Gables (series) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
24. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
25. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle