In the upcoming weeks, many school districts may decide to open on a distance learning format. Some parents may make that choice for their children based on their comfort level in the current COVID pandemic.
For me, distance learning this Spring was rough. Even though I hold a Masters of Education, that does NOT make teaching my own children at home easier. This article provides a round-up of online learning resources that can help you through the process with your children, as we continue to navigate this new “normal.”
Age: Early Learning & Preschool
- Check out PBSkids for games and videos with favorite characters.
- Kaplan has activities and resources for early learning.
Age: Elementary and Up
- XtraMath is math practice of basic facts.
- Raz-Kids provides leveled reading.
- GoNoodle helps shake those sillies out and take a brain break!
- ABCYa! is a great resource for educational games.
- Math Playground offers fun math games.
- Scholastic is a great reading resource.
- Famous stories on Storyline read by famous people.
Local Virtual Fieldtrips for all ages
Other Virtual Field Trips
- Cincinnati Zoo offers daily live videos.
- Boston Children’s Museum gives a virtual tour of each floor.
- San Diego Zoo live cams capture the animals.
Online Art Lessons
In addition to the above resources, follow some of the local places you frequent, they may be doing live feeds on social media. If your child’s teacher is sending daily communication, look out for links in their updates. Here is a final link of online resources by subject area, put together by PBIS Rewards.
Wishing all of you well during this uncertain time as we prepare for the new school year. I hope the above lists help you take on the new world of distance learning.