“What the world needs now is love, sweet, love.” Today marks the start of The Fourth Annual 26 Days of Kindness social media event– November 19 – December 14, 2016. Go out there and spread the love! There are many little ways each day to honor those that lost their lives on that tragic day in Newtown, CT on December 14, 2012.
For this event you will need to perform a random act of kindness each day for 26 days in memory of each of these victims. The following list provides some ideas to get you started:
- Cook a meal or do a load of laundry for a friend as a way of thanking them for being in your life.
- Leave a Facebook message of a genuine compliment to a friend that seems like he/she needs it.
- Offer to help a co-worker do a tedious task like photocopying.
- Leave exact change at a Laundromat, vending machine, or even Red Box for the next user.
- Send in a special “just because” treat to your child’s teacher.
- Buy a used book at your local library book sale and leave it for the next patron.
- Let someone making a left turn go in front of you.
- Don’t interrupt when someone else is speaking. Listen. Really listen.
- Buy an appetizer for the table next to you at a restaurant.
- Leave your magazine behind for someone else to read at the coffee shop, the doctor’s office, or on the train.
- Donate a board game to an afterschool program.
- Put sticky notes with positive slogans on the mirrors in restrooms.
- Bring your partner coffee in bed.
- Pay for someone’s coffee in the drive-thru line.
- Offer to run an errand for a neighbor that may need a helping hand..
- Bring a basket of chocolates to the nearby police station for their break room.
- Donate old towels or pet toys to the local animal shelter.
- Write a letter to a relative you haven’t spoken to in awhile.
- Leave a scratch off lottery ticket on someone’s windshield.
- Leave a larger tip in the tip jar of a coffee shop.
- Donate an old coat to a local coat drive.
- Buy a gift for a person in need through a local gift tag program.
- Bake a treat for a co-worker that needs cheering up.
- Help get the animals ready for winter by hanging birdseed at the local park or trail.
- Spread some holiday cheer by surprising someone with a special holiday decoration.
- Surprise a stranger with a kind word or gesture.
For each act of kindness, you can use one of these tags for each of the honorees to be remembered. For more information or to post your own acts of kindness go to 26 Days of Kindness on Facebook.